Maths is one of the core curriculum subjects and, as such, receives a high profile at Goodwyn. Our approach to teaching mathematics is based on four key principles:
- Dedicated mathematics lessons every day
- Direct teaching and interactive oral work with the whole class and groups
- An emphasis on mental calculation
- Controlled differentiation, with all pupils engaged in mathematics relating to a common theme.
Our teaching of mathematics is constructed around seven strands:
- Using and applying mathematics
- Counting and understanding numbers
- Knowing and using number facts
- Understanding shape
- Handling data.
At the foundation stage, emphasis is placed on practical activities with a focus on understanding number, providing a firm basis for future progression.
In Key Stage One, children are taught informal methods of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division enabling them to have a comprehensive understanding of the operations before formal methods are introduced in Key Stage Two.
Children are encouraged to use their knowledge and understanding through investigations and problem solving leading them towards logical thinking and using mathematics in everyday life situations. Our lessons are supported by an excellent range of resources.